[Yanel-dev] organization of data

Evaldas Taroza etaroza at optaros.com
Thu Feb 28 16:29:25 CET 2008

simon litwan wrote:
> Josias Thöny schrieb:
>> Evaldas Taroza wrote:

>>> I think that instead of resourceyanelhtdocs scheme we should put
>>> yanel-htdocs inside htdocs of a resource type and use the single
>>> scheme called 'htdocs':
>>> htdocs:/bar/foo.xml
>>> htdocs:/yanel/bar/foo.xml
>>>
>>> We talked with Simon about that, looks like there could be some
>>> backwards compatibility issues, but it's much nicer isn't it?
>>
>> I like this better, too.
> maybe it's better but for backwards compatibility we would need add
> another test if the file is in the old location or in the new.
> but it could make sense to use just one sorceResolver for both. it would
> just access the root of the package.
> this would look like this.
>
> htdocs:/yanel-htdocs/bar/foo.xml ->
> YOUR_RESOURCE_TYPE/yanel-htdocs/bar/foo.xml
> htdocs:/htdocs/bar/foo.xml -> YOUR_RESOURCE_TYPE/htdocs/bar/foo.xml
>
> this way it would be possible to access what ever is in the package. not
> only htdocs/ yanel-htdocs.
>
> WDOT?

Hm, can a resource type access static resources that are situated in
another resource type? or htdocs:/ is only for using locally in the
resource type?

If it is cross-accessible (how?) then I guess allowing to get into any
folder is a security whole... Meaning that a resource type *.jar is a
self contained package which can have passwords and sensible stuff inside.

> there is still the question of the naming. htdocs is not specific
> enough, resourcehtdocs is long and doesn't really make sense IMO. in
> java terminology what you get is named a resource (e.g.
> getResourceAsStream()) so it unfortunately  this  would mean
> resource-types resource which is confusing.
>
> some ideas:
> rtresource:/
> rtfile:/
> rtasset:/

For me, as a non-linux user, even htdocs:/ is not informative enough:) I
would go for something like asset:/ or htdocs:/

Evaldas

www.linkedin.com/in/taroza

Optaros - www.optaros.com