[Yanel-dev] organization of data

Evaldas Taroza etaroza at optaros.com
Mon Feb 25 12:12:55 CET 2008

Michael Wechner wrote:
> Evaldas Taroza wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Maybe we should think about how to better organize data in the
>> repository. I mean we need some conventions. Currently we just put
>> everything into /data and that's it. So javascripts, xslt, jelly, css
>> together with the actual content gets there. I don't think it is nice.
>> Because some of the scripts (like jelly, xslt) belong to some of the
>> content and is not reusable,
>

> reusable refering to what? Re reusing with the different realms?
Yes, realm. Usually when we write a jelly script, or XSLT it won't make
sense in other contexts. Also, some jellys make sense only for one
resource configuration only, although there might be some global xslts.

>> so they should lie somewhere logically close to each other.
>

> to each other what?
For instance, all the jelly scripts and xslt about the image gallery
should be somewhere in the same place, it's like a bunch of scripts that
are used by one .yanel-rc file. So it should be somehow easy and natural
to find these scripts after you look into .yanel-rc.

>> I saw Josias is using some layout according to usecases.
>>
>> Has anyone suggestions about the conventions?
>

> I very much agree that we should tell people about best practice,
> whereas feel free to make a proposal ;-)
Yes, I agree, the conventions I am talking about could be like best
practices.

For me the best thing would be to keep .yanel-rc together with dependent
scripts (jelly and xslt). So I would have something like:
.../gallery/
   C/[with all the .yanel-rc, jelly, xslt files for creating]
   R/[with all the .yanel-rc, jelly, xslt files for reading]
   U/[with all the .yanel-rc, jelly, xslt files for modifying]
   D/[with all the .yanel-rc, jelly, xslt files for deleting]
.../wiki/
   C/
   R/
   U/
   D/
...etc.

This way it is clear what content are we talking about, what are the
resources used for CRUD and what are related scripts(if any). This
proposal, however, implies mixing what we currently keep in separate
folders: 'data' and 'res-configs', so I am not sure how to configure
everything.

What do you think?

Evaldas

www.linkedin.com/in/taroza