[Yanel-dev] why Java 1.4 and not Java 5?

Evaldas Taroza etaroza at optaros.com
Tue Feb 12 10:52:43 CET 2008

I have several JVMs on my computer. Finally I was able to make my Yanel
development purely Java 1.4.
1. In Eclpise I configured to use 1.4 compiler and 1.4 code compliance
2. I installed Tomcat 5.5.26 + Tomcat Java 1.4 compatibility patch
(because Tomcat 5.5.26 is packaged for Java 5.0 by default)

I did that, and now I have to deal with problems of Java 1.4 that in
Java 5 are already solved. For instance I had some issues with inner
classes.

Why not making Yanel Java 1.5+ compliant? This would also allow to
leverage much of the new language features like annotations, generics.
Moreover the development goes faster with Java 1.5.

Evaldas

www.linkedin.com/in/taroza

Optaros - www.optaros.com