[Yanel-dev] Deactivated or not published yet pages

Guillaume Déflache guillaume.deflache at wyona.com
Wed Dec 10 09:05:39 CET 2008

Michael Wechner schrieb:
> We recently had the following usecase:
>
> - Person A creates a page with a workflow associated with, but does not
> publish it, hence it should not be visible to the outside
>  ( but Person A can see it, because A is logged in to Yanel)
> - Person A copies this link and sends it to Person B for review
> - Person B then receives this link by email, clicks on it and gets a 404
> (because Person is not logged in)
> and hence will be very confused
>
> A similar case can happen when Person A is deactivating (un-publishing)
> a page and Person B still has a bookmark to it.
>
> A 404 might make sense it certain cases, but I believe strongly, that it
> could also say something like
>
> "This page does exist, but is not published currently"
>
> WDYT?

As long as you still cannot publish content which link to such a page, I
guess it's OK, else there might be information leakage as for example a
very early publication of
http://example.com/50_percent_discount_on_all_products/ page which sole
URL would already say too much! ;)
Also beware of not indexing anything including the URL for search as well!