[Yanel-dev] Inconsistencies re resource-types.xml

Josias Thöny josias.thoeny at wyona.com
Mon May 14 09:47:38 CEST 2007

On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 14:19 +0200, Michael Wechner wrote:
> Hi
>
> When trying to fix the binary snapshot generation of Yanel I have
> noticed that during the build the resource-types.xml is being patched,
> such that "resource.xml" is being added. There are three issues related
> to this
>
> 1) One has to remember that this needs to be done ;-) when using it in
> different places
> 2) The file (and also the local) within conf dir are "inconsistent" with
> the  one within WEB-INF/classes
> 3) One cannot configure the resource.xml (OTOH  which might be not that bad)
>
> I am not sure if we should leave it like this or add "resource.xml" to
> the conf files and drop the patching.
>
> WDYT?

I agree it's not very nice.

If we add the "resource.xml" suffix within conf/resource-types.xml, the
build process will have a problem, because it needs the path of the
resource directory (e.g. to find the build.xml of the resource).

The other possibility is to not add "resource.xml" and just have the
directory path in resource-types.xml. Then the ResourceTypeRegistry
would look for a file called resource.xml in that directory.

Some time ago I was thinking how to allow multiple resource types within
one directory (which might make sense for resource types which share the
same dependencies and can be built with the same build.xml).
To see if it works, I removed the "resource.xml" suffix from
resource-types.xml and modified ResourceTypeRegistry s.t. it loads all
files named resource*.xml in the resource directory.

Do you think this might be useful?
I could provide a patch.

Josias