[Yanel-dev] Some more thoughts on Workflow usecases

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Sat May 12 10:52:13 CEST 2007

Hi

When I was thinking about some more workflow examples (ReviewThenCommit
and Invoices) it came to my mind that it might make sense to handle
workflow as a resource itself. For instance in the ReviewTheCommit
usecase one would like to add several files (with specific) versions to
a workflow instance, e.g.

M foo1.bar (revision 213123)
M foo2.bar (revision 432345)
A foo3.bar (revision 453443)
D foo4.bar (revision 324323)

which one could handle as follows:

1) Create a new workflow resource instance (based on the RTC workflow
schema)
2) Attach (bi-directional) the changes above to this workflow resource
instance.

It seems to me that the difficulties we encounter how we should
implement the workflow re versioning, etc. is because we try to tie the
workflow too much to the actual object. With the solution above we could
get rid of these problems and would just need some glue.

Of course to the end-user it might still appear as if workflow would be
attached directly to a version or to a whole resource instance and I
guess this glue could be the interface, but not the actual workflow.

WDYT?

michael.wechner at wyona.com                        michi at apache.org