[Yanel-dev] Resource creator and Yanel User resource

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Thu Mar 15 12:17:04 CET 2007

Paloma Gomez wrote:

> Josias Thöny escribió:
>
>> Paloma Gomez wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have been working recently on the creation of new yanel users
>>> using the features provided by the resource creator. I have a
>>> problem I don't know how to solve.
>>>
>>> The resource creator displays a form which has been created using
>>> the set of properties defined by the original resource but it does
>>> not provide for interaction with the user (there is no way of
>>> displaying error messages, for instance). In the case of the yanel
>>> resource it means that the yanel resource can check if the data
>>> supplied is valid but it has no means of telling the user the data
>>> introduced is incorrect (e.g, not valid email address, empty userId,
>>> the group  does not exist ...). So the only thing the yanel resource
>>> can do is not doing anything at all ( it does not create the new
>>> yanel user and it does not tell the user about it - it just writes
>>> an error message in the log file).  The bigger problem here  is that
>>> the resource creator assumes the creation process is always
>>> successful and therefore it always creates a yanel-rti file and
>>> displays a link to the new yanel user, no matter if this yanel user
>>> was actually created or not.
>>>
>>> Maybe we could  somehow improve the resource creator to take into
>>> account unsuccessful attempts to create a reource. WDYT?
>>

>> Actually it seems a bit weird to me that users are resources and are
>> being created by the resource creator.
>> IMHO we should have a usecase framework and write a usecase to create
>> new users...
>> Maybe someone could give a definition of what a resource is, and
>> explain why users are resources.
>> Sorry if I'm coming late with this, but I think it has never been
>> discussed.
>

> I also find confusing the fact that a resource (YanelUserResource) is
> used to create and manage yanel users because I have always thought
> that resources in yanel are similar to resource types are in lenya, a
> way of defining how content types must be processed and displayed in
> the website.

no, it's not the same.

> I agree with you about the need of having a clear definition of what a
> resource is. This definition will help us make a decision about the
> usecase framework.

yes, we need a good definition, but also important to understand what
both you understand as a usecase

> I think we also need to refine the user management. Currently, one
> needs to know the existing yanel users and their associated url to be
> able to access their profile, so I suggest we add a screen displaying
> all existing users so that the admin does not need to know the
> existing yanel users and their urls.

another resource ;-)

> Users could still change their yanel user profile accessing the
> associated url directly.  Maybe, this would be easier to implement if
> we had a usecase framework.

I do not think the usecase framework will help on this, but before we
start endless discussion, let's do the definitions ;-)
and then we all know what we actually talk about :-)

>> I guess the resource creator would have to be improved quite a lot to
>> be suitable for user creation. It would e.g. need typed properties to
>> allow  entering the password in a real password field instead of a
>> normal input field. Parameter validation is another problem.
>
> Another problem is that the resource creator does not provide means of
> relating the resource-specific parameters with the final url, so one
> can create a user "paloma" and the url to access paloma's profile can
> be http://127:0:0:1/yanel/yanel-website/josias. IMO this is quite
> confusing as well.

well, I think this can be solved, but it's no reason to find another
valley for the river to flow ;-)

I would suggest that we have a quick conference call over skype this
afternoon to brainstorm and then post our findings on this mailing list.