[Yanel-dev] Resource creator and Yanel User resource

Paloma Gomez paloma.gomez at wyona.com
Thu Mar 15 11:56:33 CET 2007

Josias Thöny escribió:
> Paloma Gomez wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have been working recently on the creation of new yanel users using
>> the features provided by the resource creator. I have a problem I
>> don't know how to solve.
>>
>> The resource creator displays a form which has been created using the
>> set of properties defined by the original resource but it does not
>> provide for interaction with the user (there is no way of displaying
>> error messages, for instance). In the case of the yanel resource it
>> means that the yanel resource can check if the data supplied is valid
>> but it has no means of telling the user the data introduced is
>> incorrect (e.g, not valid email address, empty userId, the group
>> does not exist ...). So the only thing the yanel resource can do is
>> not doing anything at all ( it does not create the new yanel user and
>> it does not tell the user about it - it just writes an error message
>> in the log file).  The bigger problem here  is that the resource
>> creator assumes the creation process is always successful and
>> therefore it always creates a yanel-rti file and displays a link to
>> the new yanel user, no matter if this yanel user was actually created
>> or not.
>>
>> Maybe we could  somehow improve the resource creator to take into
>> account unsuccessful attempts to create a reource. WDYT?
>
> Actually it seems a bit weird to me that users are resources and are
> being created by the resource creator.
> IMHO we should have a usecase framework and write a usecase to create
> new users...
> Maybe someone could give a definition of what a resource is, and
> explain why users are resources.
> Sorry if I'm coming late with this, but I think it has never been
> discussed.

I also find confusing the fact that a resource (YanelUserResource) is
used to create and manage yanel users because I have always thought that
resources in yanel are similar to resource types are in lenya, a way of
defining how content types must be processed and displayed in the
website. I agree with you about the need of having a clear definition of
what a resource is. This definition will help us make a decision about
the usecase framework.

I think we also need to refine the user management. Currently, one needs
to know the existing yanel users and their associated url to be able to
access their profile, so I suggest we add a screen displaying all
existing users so that the admin does not need to know the existing
yanel users and their urls. Users could still change their yanel user
profile accessing the associated url directly.  Maybe, this would be
easier to implement if we had a usecase framework.

> I guess the resource creator would have to be improved quite a lot to
> be suitable for user creation. It would e.g. need typed properties to
> allow  entering the password in a real password field instead of a
> normal input field. Parameter validation is another problem.
Another problem is that the resource creator does not provide means of
relating the resource-specific parameters with the final url, so one can
create a user "paloma" and the url to access paloma's profile can be
http://127:0:0:1/yanel/yanel-website/josias. IMO this is quite confusing
as well.

Regards,
Paloma