[Yanel-dev] Resource creator and Yanel User resource

Josias Thöny josias.thoeny at wyona.com
Thu Mar 15 00:35:18 CET 2007

Paloma Gomez wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been working recently on the creation of new yanel users using
> the features provided by the resource creator. I have a problem I don't
> know how to solve.
>
> The resource creator displays a form which has been created using the
> set of properties defined by the original resource but it does not
> provide for interaction with the user (there is no way of displaying
> error messages, for instance). In the case of the yanel resource it
> means that the yanel resource can check if the data supplied is valid
> but it has no means of telling the user the data introduced is incorrect
> (e.g, not valid email address, empty userId, the group  does not exist
> ...). So the only thing the yanel resource can do is not doing anything
> at all ( it does not create the new yanel user and it does not tell the
> user about it - it just writes an error message in the log file).  The
> bigger problem here  is that the resource creator assumes the creation
> process is always successful and therefore it always creates a yanel-rti
> file and displays a link to the new yanel user, no matter if this yanel
> user was actually created or not.
>
> Maybe we could  somehow improve the resource creator to take into
> account unsuccessful attempts to create a reource. WDYT?

Actually it seems a bit weird to me that users are resources and are
being created by the resource creator.
IMHO we should have a usecase framework and write a usecase to create
new users...
Maybe someone could give a definition of what a resource is, and explain
why users are resources.
Sorry if I'm coming late with this, but I think it has never been discussed.

I guess the resource creator would have to be improved quite a lot to be
suitable for user creation. It would e.g. need typed properties to allow
  entering the password in a real password field instead of a normal
input field. Parameter validation is another problem.

Of course the resource creator should handle errors and display error
messages to the user. Here I also believe that a usecase framework might
be helpful, because we have this same problem in each place which uses
forms.

josias