[Yanel-dev] yarep symlinks

Josias Thöny josias.thoeny at wyona.com
Tue Mar 6 17:20:31 CET 2007

Hi all,

Some yarep implementations seem to allow some kind of symlinks, i.e. two
or more different paths which have the same uuid and therefore point to
the same file.

Example:
path1: /foo/            -> uuid: 1234
path2: /foo/index.html  -> uuid: 1234

Now index.html is a child node of foo, so foo is basically a child of
itself, which leads to some problems.
For example if someone wants to delete all children of /foo but not /foo
itself, the repository will delete /foo/index.html, which means that the
file 1234 is deleted, but /foo still points to it, and the repository is
  broken...

I'm not sure how to fix this.
My question is, do we really need symlinks, and what are they used for?
I guess they are used to allow calling the urls /foo/ or /foo/index.html
and both should return the same page.
But should that really be handled in the repository layer? My feeling is
that it does not belong there.
WDYT?

Josias