[Yanel-dev] live view

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Fri Jun 1 23:57:39 CEST 2007

Josias Thöny wrote:

>Hi,
>
>It looks like yanel needs a distinction between authoring- and
>live-view:
>
>authoring: show the newest version of each page
>live: show only the published version of a page
>
>A simple way to distinguish between authoring- and live-view is the
>following:
>- if a user is logged in -> show authoring view
>- if a user is not logged in -> show live view
>
>The problem is that a user does not obviously know whether he is seeing
>the live- or the authoring-view.
>
>Any ideas how to improve this?

within the toolbar we could display some information which version the
user currently is viewing

>Maybe we could always display the toolbar when a user is logged in, to
>let him know he is in the authoring-view.

I don't think we should do this, because a realm might allow to login
some protected area for viewing some
confidential content, but which has nothing to do with editing and the
like. Of course one could strip down
the toolbar for such cases, but it seems to me just too "restrictive"

>Or is there a better way to separate the live- from the authoring-view
>(maybe url prefix)?

well, the prefix has the disadvantage re links, etc, but OTOH it makes
it very obvious.

Btw, re collaborative pages it would also make sense to have a staging
view, which is basically the view just before it
would go live resp. when a review has been approved, but maybe I am
mixing here some specific workflows with the more generic
differentiation between live and not live.

I will also try to think some more over the weekend.