[Yanel-dev] Re: Access Control User Interface

Josias Thöny josias.thoeny at wyona.com
Wed Jan 31 09:58:43 CET 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 09:33 +0100, Michael Wechner wrote:
> Paloma Gomez wrote:
>

> >>I think that the Identity is some kind of abstraction of the following
> >>items:
> >>- user
> >>- machine
> >>- ip range
> >>- world
> >>So maybe we could keep Identity.java as a super-class or an interface.
> >>But I'm not sure which methods to put into Identity.java.
> >>

> >Currently, Identity.java just holds a username and an array containing
> >groups and provides getter methods for retrieving them.
> >

> the identity is a container for
>
> user
> machine/ip-range
> world
> group

IIUC the identity is either a user, or a machine, or world, etc. But
it's not everything at the same time, or is it?
So it would seem to me more natural to have Identity as a super-type of
all those "things", instead of a container.

Or am I misunderstanding you?

What about the following situation:
A page has a policy which allows access from a certain ip-number. Now a
user at the workstation with that ip-number tries to access that page.
The user will be authorized, without entering username/password. In this
case the identity is just the machine, and there is no username or group
available.

Josias