[Yanel-dev] Toolbar implementation

Josias Thöny josias.thoeny at wyona.com
Mon Feb 19 17:56:10 CET 2007

Michael Wechner wrote:
> Josias Thöny wrote:
>
>> Michael Wechner wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have implemented a prototype of the toolbar, whereas it's currently
>>> using an iframe, but this results in a long tail
>>> of problems, so I think we rather use CSS and aggregate this on "top"
>>> of the actual content.
>>

>> Could you name the problems you encountered (just to have them kind of
>> documented)?
>

> <base target="_top"/> needs to be added
> Caching problems
> Frame in frame problems

ok, i see.

> frames are just evil ;-)
>

>>> This has the drawback, that one cannot write directly into the
>>> response from within a resource, at least not for data with the
>>> mime-type "html" which shall be toolbar enabled. Technically speaking
>>> one checks on the method "View.isResponse()".
>>>
>>> Please let me know if you see other consequences.
>>

>> This would also mean that the toolbar cannot be displayed for binary
>> resources like e.g. images. Right?
>
> no, but you are mentioning a good point.
> But we could implement an "IF" and use iframes for images, etc.
>
> WDYT?

Another possibility would be the Lenya-approach: binary documents have a
html view in the authoring area.
This html view is a simple page which contains meta data and in case
it's an image maybe something like a thumbnail.
But currently in yanel we have no such thing as authoring- and live
areas. Could the viewid be used for this?

Josias