[Yanel-dev] Introducing a WebViewable interface

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Thu Feb 15 08:25:17 CET 2007

Hi

I am currently working on the integration of a toolbar. One condition is
that one knows the mime-type of a response, because
the toolbar only makes sense for requesst which have (x)html as a
response. Hence it's important to ask a resource for the mime-type
before the actual response is actually being generated.

In other situations this should also be the case for other HTTP header
fields, e.g. size, because the header should be set before the response
body is being streamed.

With the current Viewable interfaces and the View class, this is not
really being forced and I think it's design mistake which I caused ;-)

So I think we should either change the ViewableV2 interface (which
hasn't be released yet) or introduce a new interface which takes care of
the issues described above.

Another distinction we might want to make is between "web-viewable" and
"viewable" in a more general sense.

Hence I think it would make sense to introduce a WebViewable interface.

WDYT?

michael.wechner at wyona.com                        michi at apache.org