[Yanel-dev] Re: Access Control User Interface

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Fri Feb 2 10:59:20 CET 2007

Paloma Gomez wrote:

>>>following

>>>interface.

>>>containing

>>>no. A user does also have an IP and can be part of a group or many
>>>groups
>>>

>>Yes, of course. But the question is how to model that in the code...
>>For the user management we proposed to add classes like User, Group
>>etc.,  and it's not clear to me how this would relate to the Identity.
>>

>It's not clear to me either, maybe because I'm used to the Lenya approach.
>

>>Maybe we just keep the Identity as it is and implement the user
>>management somehow separately. I don't know...
>>

>I thought about that too... But would be Identity used for then? When I
>started thinking about this, my first idea was that the IdentityManager
>was similar to the Authenticator in Lenya, and I had to implement users,
>groups... I don't see where the Identity fits here.
>
>I think I don't get the idea because it's a completely new approach
>(having everything into Identity). Maybe with some examples we could
>understand it better.

a machine doesn't have to be a user, but it is an identity, because one
can identify it through the IP address.

So, identity is more general than User or Machine or Group.

If a human being is logging in successfully, then this human being is
becoming an identity, which
contains the user, machine, groups, etc.

If a machine is accessing the system it also becomes an identity, the IP
address.

HTH

Michi