[Yanel-dev] lucene dependencies

Josias Thöny josias.thoeny at wyona.com
Tue Dec 11 10:27:25 CET 2007

Michael Wechner wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have implemented Lucene indexing/searching into the Yarep "new
> virtual  file system" repo impl, whereas I am using Lucene 2.2.0 because
> it contains the IndexWriter.update method simplifying the incremental
> update of already indexed documents.
>
> Now the problem is that for instance Jackrabbit 1.3.3 uses Lucene 2.0.0
> which is not compatible and some other Yanel resources use also
> different lucene versions resp. related classes. I did an overview as
> follows:
>
> - Wiki resource
> (src/contributions/resources/wiki/src/build/dependencies.xml)
>  <dependency groupId="apache-org-lucene" artifactId="lucene-highlighter"
> version="1.x"/>
>
> - Nutch resource
> (src/contributions/resources/nutch/src/build/dependencies.xml)
>  <dependency groupId="apache-org-lucene" artifactId="lucene-core"
> version="1.9.1"/>
>  <dependency groupId="apache-org-lucene" artifactId="lucene-misc"
> version="1.9.1"/>
>
> - Jackrabbit 1.3.3
>   depends on Lucene 2.0.0 whereas I was told that Jackrabbit 1.4 will
> depend on Lucene 2.2.0
>
> - Yarep
>   depends on Lucene 2.2.0
>
> Well, of course we can update some of the above resources, but still the
> conflict of the various dependencies is a real problem and I am not sure
> how we can best fix this.
>
> I know we have discussed this before, but new suggestions are very welcome.

I think the build process of a resource type should not copy the
dependencies into the yanel build directory, because this makes it
impossible for the main build process to handle dependency conflicts.

Maybe each resource type could provide a pom file containing its custom
dependencies, and the main build process would depend on all those pom
files.

WDYT?

josias