[Yanel-dev] separate name in givenname and lastname

Michael Wechner michael.wechner at wyona.com
Fri Dec 7 17:27:43 CET 2007

simon litwan wrote:

> Michael Wechner schrieb:
>
>> simon litwan wrote:
>>
>>> hi all
>>>
>>> i think it would make sense to add getters and setters for a
>>> lastname property within the user.
>>>
>>> at the moment there is just name. i think using name and lastname
>>> would reflect the a real world standard of a persons name.
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>

>> you split name into
>>
>> - firstname
>> - lastname
>>
>> ?
>>
>> What about middle names?
>
> i think middle names are not so common. at least not so common as
> first and last names. but one could use name (i wouldn't change the
> current name to first name,

and what does "name" stand for then?

> just add a lastname) for all it's names (first and middles).

I think that's rather confusing.

In order to stay backwards compatible I would suggest to introduce

getFirstname(), getLastame(), setFirstname(), setLastname()

and just set setName(), getName() to deprecated resp. just leave it as
it is.

So the YanelUserResource can then switch to firstname and lastname and
check on name if available.