[Yanel-development] Why is a local Tomcat installed by default?

Andreas Wuest awuest at student.ethz.ch
Thu Nov 30 17:23:12 CET 2006

Hi

On 30.11.2006 16:36 Uhr, Michael Wechner wrote:

> Andreas Wuest wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Why does configure.sh automatically install a local Tomcat?
>>
>> Shouldn't this be configurable?
>

> well, it does only install one if you don't have a
> local.build.properties file.

Wait a minute: the Tomcat is installed during configure.sh! How is a
user who has just checked out expected to have a local.build.properties
file?

This looks like a chicken and the egg problem: I don't have a
local.build.properties file without running configure.sh, but
configure.sh automatically installs Tomcat if there is no
local.build.properties file.

> But maybe we should ask first resp. we should think about what a first
> time user is expecting and what
> an advanced user is expecting.

As a first time user I did exactly what it said in the README:

1) Check out the source
2) Run configure.sh
3) Run build.sh
4) Run yanel.sh start

The configure step should ask me if I want to have a local Tomcat
installed. If no, it should ask me to provide the path to my own Tomcat
installation.

> The goal is to make it as simple and clear as possible for everyone ;-)

Yeah, for sure. This is simple, but not clear! ;)

--
Kind regards,
Andi