[Yanel-development] dependencies of resources

Josias Thöny josias.thoeny at wyona.com
Thu Nov 23 10:48:06 CET 2006

Hi all,

Currently each resource has its own dependencies.xml, s.t. it can be
compiled on its own.
The problem with this approach is that it's quite tedious to update the
libraries. For instance, if one wants to update yanel to use a new yarep
revision, one has to update the dependencies files of (almost) every
resource, because most resources have a dependency to a specific yarep
revision.
If one forgets to update some resources, it may happen that e.g.
resource A depends on yarep-r123.jar and resource B depends on
yarep-r150.jar. This may lead to unexpected results.

Does anybody have an idea how this could be solved?
Maybe we could add the most common dependencies to the yanel-core.pom on
the maven server. The resources then just depend on yanel-core (with the
recursive dependencies) and on resource specific libraries.
I think this should be possible with maven.
WDYT?

The other problem is that some resources also depend on a specific
revision of the core. The main build.xml passes the property
{yanel.source.version} to the resources' build.xml to make the resources
depend on the current core revision.
However, only a few resources use this feature, and it seems that those
resources which use it cannot be built individually anymore (because the
property has no value).
Couldn't we add a 'default' value to this property which would be used
when the resource is being built individually?
Then we could use this feature for all resources.

josias